Saturday, August 31, 2013

Swaddling and Sucking

I am happy to say that he is a pacifier baby.  My last two boys were not and would never be comforted by a pacifier, but the girls loved them.  It is so helpful on car rides and at Mass when they are little.  He prefers the Soothie pacifiers, like the green one in this picture.


I think after a week of more rough nights than not, I *may* have figured out that he likes being swaddled with his arms up and hands by his face.  I always use the Miracle Blanket (not pictured) which holds their arms straight down by their sides.  It is a super snug swaddle that most babies prefer at first.  Isaac, however, did not like his arms straight because he sucked on his fists.  I didn't want to be hasty making this call because sometimes it just takes babies a bit to get used to it, but I tried it Wednesday night leaving out the straight arms part of the Miracle Blanket the second half of the night and he did much better.  Don't know if this will solve all problems, but we will see.  That is the only difference between night and day time (other than noise and lights) that I could come up with.  He falls asleep on his own during the day and sleeps so soundly, but at night he was struggling to get into a good sleep.

This is the Woombie that we are practicing using a couple times a day.  It allows a lot more movement than he was prepared for initially, but I think that he will quickly be ready for it.

No comments: